Student Frequently Asked Questions

Who is responsible for payment of the Utilities?

Unless the Tenancy comes with a ‘Bills Inclusive’ package, you will be responsible for the payment of any bills for Water, Gas, Electricity, Council Tax, telephone and TV licence. (Properties rented exclusively to Students are exempt from paying Council Tax)

Does the Letting Agent I choose matter?

Yes. Speak to the University. They advise that students use only reputable Letting Agents. We have a long-standing relationship with Durham University.

Also, to ensure you receive a professional service its best to choose an agent who is a member of ARLA PropertyMark (Association of Residential Letting Agents) ARLA members ensure that the transaction is handled properly. An ARLA agent works to professional standards that work well for both landlord and tenant. For example, the tenant renting through an ARLA agent can expect that the landlord will carry out safety checks e.g. gas, electrics, furniture etc. The correct tenancy agreement will be used, ensuring that responsibilities are clearly set down and privacy of the tenant is adequate. An ARLA agent will also have proper procedures for reporting and dealing with repairs and furthermore will protect your deposit with a recognised Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme.

How do I know my deposit is protected?

The Letting Agent/Landlord must provide you with details of the Scheme under which the Deposit is protected within 30 days of you paying the Deposit to the Agent.

Frampton & Roebuck automatically register your Tenancy Deposit during the process of you signing your Tenancy Agreement – all of which is done securely online.

Who is responsible for repair/maintenance problems?

The Landlord would normally be responsible for repairs to the property but you would be expected to carry out day to repairs, eg light bulbs etc, and should any damage be caused through negligence then this would be your responsibility to have repaired. A tenant should report repairs as soon as they become aware.

Will my privacy be respected?

Yes. Your privacy is respected. It is normal for a Landlord or Agent to carry out inspections during the Term of the Tenancy however they should give you reasonable notice of this and it would not normally take place more often than quarterly. This area is normally covered in the tenancy agreement signed by you and the Landlord.

How long do I have to rent for?

Most of our student tenancies are 52 week contracts, the vast majority of which start on the 1st of July and end on the 30th of June. In most cases, the properties are owned by professional, investor Landlords and we are therefore able to offer the security of longer term tenancies.

What happens if I want to leave early or withdraw myself from a contract?

If you need to leave the property before the end of your Tenancy or remove yourself from the tenancy contract, you will be responsible for paying the rent until a suitable replacement Tenant has been found. We will help as much as we can, and re-advertise on the various websites, but we do ask that every effort be made by the person wishing to be removed from the tenancy group alongside the other housemates. You may also be responsible for meeting any costs incurred by the Landlord for altering or replacing the existing Tenancy Agreement.

Where can I store my belongings before I move into the house?

Every year there are instances where students leave Durham in the weeks running up to the start of their Tenancy, and every year, these students need somewhere to store their stuff.

However, because your Tenancy may not start for a few weeks, we are not able to permit you to store anything before the start of your Tenancy. This can be for various reasons, such as insurance, contractual reasons, the risk of fire…and not to mention that we cannot guarantee that our cleaners and contractors wont accidentally dispose of your things.

We do however work closely with Durham Self Store – we get a discounted weekly rate with them and they will store your things until you arrive back for the start of term. They may also collect it all and drop it off to you free of charge.

Will I have any contact with the Landlord or will the Agent handle all matters?

This will depend on the service that the Landlord instructs us to carry out for them. In the event of a Let Only service you will be provided with the Landlord’s details when you move in and will have no further dealings with us. If the Landlord instructs us to Manage the property then all dealings and payment of your rent will be via Frampton & Roebuck and you will have no dealings directly with your Landlord.

What does the Letting Agent do?

Our Client is the Landlord and therefore we are limited in any help we can offer a Tenant. As a professional Letting Agent, however, we would help as much as possible and will not move you into a property unless we know it is safe for you to do so. When we act as Managing Agents we will try to be fair with all dealings between you and the Landlord and if we believe your point to be valid would certainly let the Landlord know